This Seems Kind Of Wrong of the Day: Arizona’s Supreme Court upheld a ruling issued by a lower court ordering the removal of a San Luis city council candidate’s name from the ballot because she wasn’t sufficiently fluent in English.
Alejandrina Cabrera is an American citizen who was born in Yuma, but raised in Mexico for a number of years before returning to Arizona at 17. She admits that her Spanish is much stronger than her English, but says can speak as well as she needs to.
But how much does she really need to? According to the most recent census data, 98.7% of San Luis residents are of Hispanic descent, and 87% speak a foreign language at home.
San Luis’s mayor Juan Carlos Escamilla disagreed with Cabrera’s assessment that her English “is good enough to hold public office in San Luis.” It was he who filed a lawsuit with Yuma County Superior Court, alleging Cabrera’s poor grasp of the English language precluded her from running.
The court sided with the mayor after she failed to pass a test administered by a sociolinguistics expert.
“When [the judge] took my right to be on the ballot, he took away the right of the people who want to vote for me,” Cabrera said in reaction to the ruling. The executive director of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, Arturo Vargas, agrees.
“I think it should be up to the voters to decide what kind of representative they want,” he told CNN. “I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to not be able, to not allow someone to present themselves to the voters as a candidate because of their language abilities.”
English has been the official language of Arizona since 2006.
“English has been the official language of Arizona since 2006.”
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, ARIZONA???
when are they gonna just make “WHITES ONLY” their state motto & be done with it?
Ugh what the fuck.
I’m from Yuma. Not being able to communicate with someone is a massive issue and two people trying to tell the other person what they need with only 20 words or so of the other person’s language is a real problem. Not saying that having a set language is right or that English or Spanish is the right idea for that if it’s necessary but saying that English is a “whites only” language is ignorant. I can name at least a good 10 people whose parents didn’t teach them Spanish for the actual purpose of being able to have a secret language they can speak in front of them.
Every state run service or building has appropriate bilingual employees. It’s not that there’s some war on Spanish or people of Mexican heritage. I’ve not been able to get jobs because I don’t speak fluent Spanish before, so I went and learned more. She got the opposite side of that.
A simple youtube search brings up this video: http://youtu.be/10Zg-T5m5pk?t=3m12s
915 Notes/ Hide
- thiseternaloptimist likes this
- unapologeticexistence reblogged this from bad-dominicana
- scazadora reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- nikkeatsrocks reblogged this from hieronyma
- hieronyma reblogged this from guerreragrrrls
- garishvakarian likes this
- slylytouchingly likes this
- guerreragrrrls reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- actyourrage reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- courfeyracnroll likes this
- gloryandus likes this
- persideraiuro reblogged this from thedailywhat
- cristina-kid reblogged this from peppermintgentleman
- deepseafission reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- peppermintgentleman reblogged this from purplesheep and added:
- vampirefinch reblogged this from bad-dominicana
- thefriendlydinosaur reblogged this from thedailywhat
- whatqsees reblogged this from lady-digby-chicken-caesar
- thisisafreakshow likes this
- lady-digby-chicken-caesar reblogged this from sordidguiltypleasure
- ambergerchild reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- notemily likes this
- thetimenerdparadox reblogged this from thedailywhat
- getemblood reblogged this from telegantmess
- youvegotyourclawsinme likes this
- genderbitch reblogged this from telegantmess
- lulubeans likes this
- aaronpauladeen reblogged this from chatterboxrose and added:
- adventurerofplaces reblogged this from permutationofninjasarchive and added:
- sturmtruppen likes this
- permutationofninjasarchive reblogged this from lion-for-a-mouth and added:
- corrinie reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- therise-andfall reblogged this from holymotherofrowling
- stirmymind likes this
- franzboas likes this
- ouchthroat likes this
- brokenroses reblogged this from laprima510 and added:
- elmerskijr likes this
- pixiealamode reblogged this from bad-dominicana
- tragicka reblogged this from inkdefense
- peekadora likes this
- looking-left reblogged this from river-boy
- the-frozen-city reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- apostrophiee likes this
- tigersmilk reblogged this from bad-dominicana
- moustachemanaged reblogged this from chatterboxrose
- molly-wobble-cat reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- killingthechorus reblogged this from holymotherofrowling
- boke-de-yitian reblogged this from holymotherofrowling